- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
A drama that shows humanity and humour amid the horrors of war by award winning writer Samah Sabawi
What struck me most [...] is Sabawi’s astonishing talent for character-based comedy. It’s the last thing you’d expect to find hiding in the rubble of a war zone, and she doesn’t short-change the bleakness [...] But the inextinguishable spirit of laughter, of the music of life in the face of desolation, is crucial to both the play’s poignancy and appeal
Cameron Woodhead, The Age
Audience & Marketing Notes
- Topical relevance: war, displacement, the global refugee crisis, people seeking asylum
- Quality production (reviews, production history): selected for the VCE Theatre Studies Playlist; shortlisted for the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award
- Local communities
- Samah Sabawi and the wider team have multiple personal connections to the stories behind this play, and are confident and compelling speakers on the play’s themes and background.
- International provenance of the playwright, the team and the story.
- Meet and greet with local diaspora communities
- Cast member Abdulrahman Hammoud can host poetry workshops and is highly experienced with working in communities in this way (more info in marketing pack).
- THEM is supported by excellent education resources designed for the VCE Playlist, but easily adaptable to a wide variety of local contexts (such as community based resources, other courses of study, etc..)
Most theatrical spaces with reasonable facilities are fine. Not suitable for non-traditional spaces such as school halls.