- About the Work
- Touring & Tech
- Marketing & Engagement
A powerfully moving creation exploring the complex terrain between people.
In the dryness there is a vision. It shimmers in the air. It looks real. And then it’s gone.
Women, water, close-up video fused together by extreme acrobatics plunges us deep into the human heart. Mirage is a powerfully moving new creation driven by fearless women that exalts the complex terrain between people. The foundation of personal relationships is two, so Mirage is built on the duet – that intimate, violent, passionate and lyrical encounter between two people. But when there are two, there is always a supplement – the other, the single, the separation, the ‘us’ that is the relationship itself.
Performed by a team of Circa’s finest acrobats under the direction of Artistic Director Yaron Lifschitz, the world of Mirage is visually stunning, featuring water, screens, projections and mirrors. A sumptuous departure from the company’s traditionally minimalist aesthetic. A score by award-winning Australian composer Kelly Ryall accompanies the six as they mirror, echo and distort each other. Images flicker and flow. And then it begins to rain…
Circa isn’t the little Australian circus company that could, so much as the company than can, does and will. From its base in Queensland, the company has toured productions to 30 countries, gaining the praise of critics as well as the kind of loyal audience whose attendances encourage the development of tricks and shows.
In-house system plus potential moving light hire depending on venue stock, control position in stalls with Circa Chamsys lighting desk
FOH PA with even distribution to all parts of Auditorium rigged and tuned prior to Circa’s arrival and appropriate onstage foldback. Circa tours with its own Qlab playback system on two MacBook Pros outputting to individual USB sound cards. The primary machine outputs via an 8 channel M-Audio interface that is routed through the venue FOH console direct to outputs.
14m x 8m stage size with dance floor, mats and 3m x 3m pool supplied by Circa. Single run of truss for aerial rigging required.
3 tonne truck, not possible for plane freight
Audience & Marketing Notes
Key audience for Mirage:
Fans of circus, contemporary dance, and contemporary theatre
Fans of physical theatre
Fans of traditional and nouveau circus (Cirque du Soleil, Cirque Eloize etc)
Fans of world and classical music
Local schools with an arts discipline focus
Fans of art and culture aficionados
Circa is at the forefront of the new wave of contemporary Australian circus – pioneering how extreme physicality can create powerful and moving performances. It continues to push the boundaries of the art form, blurring the lines between movement, dance, theatre and circus. In Mirage Circa expands its experimentation with diverse art forms through the blending of video, acrobatics and design elements of water and mirrors, in so doing, redrawing the limits to which circus can aspire.
Mirage is an evolution of Circa’s already sophisticated practice of showcasing the strength and power of its women acrobats, as equivalent to their male counterparts. In Mirage, the performance is driven by fearless women.
- Mirage is a powerfully moving new creation by circus visionary Yaron Lifschitz.
- Driven by fearless women, Mirage is an evocative examination of the complexities of human relationships.
- Exhilarating acrobatics, built primarily on the duet will be performed by 6 members of Circa's world-renowned ensemble.
- The world of Mirage is visually stunning, featuring water, screens, projections and mirrors - a sumptuous departure from the company’s traditionally minimalist aesthetic.
- The projection of live, close-up video footage of the acrobats on screens throughout the set, offers audience members a rare and intimate lens into the performance, from multiple vantage points.
- The work features a score by award-winning Australian composer Kelly Ryall
- Circa has a range of community engagement opportunities on offer - from tiny tumbler workshops for 3 year olds to circus masterclasses for local artists. Circa can tailor experiences to suit different communities.
All ages, family friendly
Budget & FeesWhat are these? Find out more.
Weekly Sell Off: $25000
Per Performance: $8000