Speed dating sessions at Showcase Victoria 2019
“Over the last three years, we have built four fantastic tours to all parts of regional Victoria all due to Showcase Victoria. Not only do our clients get to showcase their amazing work, but Showcase Victoria also provides fantastic networking with great face to face meeting opportunities. It has become the prime annual performing arts market in Australia.” Nic Clark NCM
- Attending Showcase Victoria will give you an experience of not only the works venues are looking for, but the calibre of work being selected to showcase.
- You will get a clearer understanding of the touring landscape in Victoria and the many different avenues to get your show on the road!
- It’s an opportunity to make valuable connections with venues, presenters and programmers and start conversations for future touring opportunities.
- You can register to come along to our Speed Dating Session and begin these conversations with programmers. It is absolutely possible to sell your show without being on the main stage!
- Attending Showcase Victoria 2020 will give you a deeper understanding of what to consider when applying to be a part of Showcase Victoria in future years and inspiration for the best way to go about it.
SHOWCASE VICTORIA 2020, 12 – 14 MAY
Showcase Victoria is Australia’s leading state-based performing arts marketplace and a critical component of Victoria’s touring ecology. It provides a unique platform for producers, artists and theatre-makers to build relationships and promote their work to a wide range of venues and programmers with the ultimate aim of facilitating touring.
In 2020, Showcase Victoria will be held at The Ulumbarra Theatre in Bendigo. Meaning ‘gather together’ or ‘meeting place’ in the language of the local Dja Dja Wurrung people, Bendigo’s Ulumbarra Theatre rises majestically from what was once the Sandhurst Gaol.
HOW DOES SHOWCASE VICTORIA WORK FOR VENUES & PROGRAMMERS?
Showcase Victoria remains a marketplace with extraordinary outcomes for venues and programmers. In 2019, 97% of attendees with programming responsibilities indicated that they were interested in productions on offer at Showcase Victoria. See the 2019 production profiles for examples of these works.
The Showcase Victoria program is curated by an industry panel representing venues and programming organisations of various sizes, geographical locations and audience sectors. The panel is made up of different members each year who select the works from approximately 150 applications.
Successful applicants are selected according to guidelines around artistic quality & innovation, viability, diversity & accessibility and audience appeal & community engagement.
Following the event itself, all attendees are surveyed with venues and programmers being asked to indicate interest in works they are considering for their programs and in which months and years. This interest is not a firm commitment but provides valuable information for producers and tour coordinators around the viability of touring the work. Artists and producers in the program are supplied with the names and contact details of interested venues and programmers and are encouraged to make contact to develop relationships further. Venues and programmers can also contact producers directly and/or wait to be approached by tour co-ordinators during the tour-building process.
“Showcase Victoria is the most important event for both artists and venues on the calendar. The opportunity to connect on this scale is invaluable for both.”